I haven’t done a Top 10 in awhile. Mostly because I found that I kept repeating the same books or authors. I’ve decided I’m only going to join in a Top 10 Tuesday if I’m going to be able to include something new. Top 10 Tuesday is a book meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. Check them out and join us!
Surprisingly, for someone who reads as much as I do, I don’t actually buy that many books. My reasons are basically that I probably won’t read them a second time and I really have no space for them. If I do buy books it’s usually because they’re on sale, they’re secondhand or I need to purchase for my book club. I also like picking up classics as they’ll probably be re-read and they’re very inexpensive. I prefer getting books from the library because if we don’t use the library, they’re likely to shut them down. I think if I had an e-reader, I would purchase more books.
Here are the books I have waiting to be read that for one reason or another, I’m keeping on the back burner.
All images from Goodreads.
1. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen: I’m not sure why. I’ve started it then I got distracted by something else. I have to be in the mood for a classic. Purchase at Chapters at least 6 months ago.
2. Dr. Jeykll & Mr. Hyde by Louis Robert Stevenson: I was so inspired by Scottish literature when I visited Edinburgh in 2009. I actually ended up eating in a cafe that was the home of the person who inspired Dr. Jeykll & Mr. Hyde. Purchase at Chapters. I believe my roommate has this one which is probably why I forgot about it.
3. The Ivy Chronicles by Karen Quinn: Picked up for $6 at a second hand bookstore while waiting for fries at Mrs. Mike’s (local drive in). I’ve only had for a couple of weeks.
4. We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson: This one was actually a gift I received from a friend. I completely forgot about it until this weekend when I was organizing a couple of shelves. Now I feel really bad that I haven’t read it yet. 😦
5. Where’s Alice Bliss? by Laura Harrington : I received this for free as well and I need to write a review on it but I can’t actually find it! I have no idea where it’s ended up. New goal! Find, read and review by the end of the month.
6. The Boleyn Inheritance by Phillipa Gregory: I picked this up at McNally Robinson (local bookstore). They have so many great books in their bargain books section. I can never seem to get away without purchasing something.
7. The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano: See above.
8. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald: This one is really embarrassing. I had to read it for a course over 10 years ago but never got around to finishing it. I think now is the time though. I want to read in advance for the new film adaptation.
9. The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde: I purchased this with Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde. I think my roommate might have this as well. I’ve read it before but it’s been so long I barely remember it. I need to re-read.
I can’t think of a #10 so not too bad. I think I should make it my personal goal to read these by the end of the year. What do you think? What books are still hanging around on your shelves?
Join me on Goodreads!